1. Najafi N, Ghasemzadeh Rahbardar M, Hosseinzadeh H, Hayes AW, Karimi G. Chemical agents protective against rotenone-induced neurotoxicity. Toxicol Environ Chem 2022; 104: 149-175.
2. Wu H, Huang J. Drug-induced nephrotoxicity: Pathogenic mechanisms, biomarkers and prevention strategies. Curr Drug Metab 2018; 19: 559-567.
3. Ghasemzadeh Rahbardar M, Hemadeh B, Razavi BM, Eisvand F, Hosseinzadeh H. Effect of carnosic acid on acrylamide induced neurotoxicity: in vivo and in vitro experiments. Drug Chem Toxicol 2020; 45: 1528-1535.
4. Rahbardar MG, Farmad HC, Hosseinzadeh H, Mehri S. Protective effects of selenium on acrylamide-induced neurotoxicity and hepatotoxicity in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2021; 24: 1041–1049.
5. Sampath PD, Vijayaragavan K. Ameliorative prospective of alpha-mangostin, a xanthone derivative from Garcinia mangostana against beta-adrenergic cathecolamine-induced myocardial toxicity and anomalous cardiac TNF-alpha and COX-2 expressions in rats. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2008; 60: 357-364.
6. Dwivedi S, Kushalan S, Paithankar JG, D’Souza LC, Hegde S, Sharma A. Environmental toxicants, oxidative stress and health adversities: interventions of phytochemicals. J Pharm Pharmacol 2022; 74: 516-536.
7. Valko M, Morris H, Cronin M. Metals, toxicity and oxidative stress. Curr Med Chem 2005; 12:1161-1208.
8. Bondy SC. Metal toxicity and neuroinflammation. Curr Opin Toxicol 2021; 26: 8-13.
9. Franco R, Sánchez-Olea R, Reyes-Reyes EM, Panayiotidis MI. Environmental toxicity, oxidative stress and apoptosis: menage a trois. Mutat Res Genet Toxicol Environ Mutagen 2009; 674: 3-22.
10. Kiraz Y, Adan A, Kartal Yandim M, Baran Y. Major apoptotic mechanisms and genes involved in apoptosis. Tumor Biol 2016; 37: 8471-8486.
11. Avila MS, Siqueira SRR, Ferreira SMA, Bocchi EA. Prevention and treatment of chemotherapy-induced cardiotoxicity. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J 2019; 15: 267-273.
12. Fang C-y, Lou D-y, Zhou L-q, Wang J-c, Yang B, He Q-j, et al. Natural products: potential treatments for cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2021; 42: 1951-1969.
13. Barron AJ, Zaman N, Cole GD, Wensel R, Okonko DO, Francis DP. Systematic review of genuine versus spurious side-effects of beta-blockers in heart failure using placebo control: Recommendations for patient information. Int J Cardiol 2013; 168: 3572-3579.
14. Naraki K, Rameshrad M, Hosseinzadeh H. Protective effects and therapeutic applications of ellagic acid against natural and synthetic toxicants: A review article. Iran J Basic Med Sci. 2022; 25: 1402-1415.
15. Alavi MS, Fanoudi S, Ghasemzadeh Rahbardar M, Mehri S, Hosseinzadeh H. An updated review of protective effects of rosemary and its active constituents against natural and chemical toxicities. Phytother Res 2021; 35: 1313-1328.
16. Hosseini M, Pkan P, Rakhshandeh H, Aghaie A, Sadeghnia HR, Rahbardar MG. The effect of hydro-alcoholic extract of citrus flower on pentylenetetrazole and maximal electroshock-induced seizures in mice. World Appl Sci J 2011; 15: 1104-1109.
17. Yarmohammadi F, Rahbardar MG, Hosseinzadeh H. Effect of eggplant (Solanum melongena) on the metabolic syndrome: A review. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2021; 24: 420-427.
18. Boskabady MH, Vatanprast A, Parsee H, Ghasemzadeh M. Effect of aqueous-ethanolic extract from Rosa damascena on guinea pig isolated heart. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2011; 14: 116-121.
19. Ardakanian A, Rahbardar MG, Omidkhoda F, Razavi BM, Hosseinzadeh H. Effect of alpha-mangostin on olanzapine-induced metabolic disorders in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2022; 25: 198-207.
20. Eisvand F, Imenshahidi M, Ghasemzadeh Rahbardar M, Tabatabaei Yazdi SA, Rameshrad M, Razavi BM, et al. Cardioprotective effects of alpha‐mangostin on doxorubicin‐induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Phytother Res 2022; 36: 506-524.
21. Ghasemzadeh A, Jaafar HZ, Baghdadi A, Tayebi-Meigooni A. Alpha-mangostin-rich extracts from mangosteen pericarp: optimization of green extraction protocol and evaluation of biological activity. Molecules 2018; 23: 1852.
22. Im A, Kim Y-M, Chin Y-W, Chae S. Protective effects of compounds from Garcinia mangostana L.(mangosteen) against UVB damage in HaCaT cells and hairless mice. Int J Mol Med 2017; 40: 1941-1949.
23. Ming-Hui W, Zhang K-J, Qin-Lan G, Xiao-Ling B, Jin-Xin W. Pharmacology of mangostins and their derivatives: A comprehensive review. Chin J Nat Med 2017; 15: 81-93.
24. Geetha R, Roy A, Lakshmi T. Evaluation of antibacterial activity of fruit rind extract of Garcinia mangostana Linn on enteric pathogens-an in vitro study. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011; 4: 115-118.
25. Gopalakrishnan G, Banumathi B, Suresh G. Evaluation of the antifungal activity of natural xanthones from Garcinia mangostana and their synthetic derivatives. J Nat Prod 1997; 60: 519-524.
26. Taher M, Zakaria TMFST, Susanti D, Zakaria ZA. Hypoglycaemic activity of ethanolic extract of Garcinia mangostana Linn. in normoglycaemic and streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. BMC Complement Altern Med 2016; 16: 1-12.
27. Kosem N, Ichikawa K, Utsumi H, Moongkarndi P. In vivo toxicity and antitumor activity of mangosteen extract. J Nat Med 2013; 67: 255-263.
28. Moongkarndi P, Kosem N, Kaslungka S, Luanratana O, Pongpan N, Neungton N. Antiproliferation, antioxidation and induction of apoptosis by Garcinia mangostana (mangosteen) on SKBR3 human breast cancer cell line. J Ethnopharmacol 2004; 90: 161-166.
29. Liu Q-Y, Wang Y-T, Lin L-G. New insights into the anti-obesity activity of xanthones from Garcinia mangostana. Food Funct 2015; 6: 383-393.
30. Ghasemzadeh Rahbardar M, Razavi BM, Hosseinzadeh H. Investigating the ameliorative effect of alpha‐mangostin on development and existing pain in a rat model of neuropathic pain. Phytother Res 2020; 34: 3211-3225.
31. Parkhe A, Parekh P, Nalla LV, Sharma N, Sharma M, Gadepalli A, et al. Protective effect of alpha mangostin on rotenone induced toxicity in rat model of Parkinson’s disease. Neuroscience Lett 2020; 716: 134652.
32. Jo S, Wu EL, Stuhlsatz D, Klauda JB, MacKerell AD, Widmalm G, et al. Lipopolysaccharide membrane building and simulation. Methods Mol Biol 2015; 1273: 391-406.
33. Miller KA, Suresh Kumar E, Wood SJ, Cromer JR, Datta A, David SA. Lipopolysaccharide sequestrants: structural correlates of activity and toxicity in novel acylhomospermines. J Med Chem 2005; 48: 2589-2599.
34. Zou W, Yin P, Shi Y, Jin N, Gao Q, Li J, et al. A novel biological role of α-mangostin via TAK1-NF-κB pathway against inflammatory. Inflammation 2019; 42: 103-112.
35. Yang Z, Yin Q, Olatunji OJ, Li Y, Pan S, Wang DD, et al. Activation of cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway involved in therapeutic actions of α-mangostin on lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in rats. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 2020; 34: 2058738420954941.
36. Tao M, Jiang J, Wang L, Li Y, Mao Q, Dong J, et al. α-Mangostin alleviated lipopolysaccharidei nduced acute lung injury in rats by suppressing NAMPT/NAD controlled inflammatory reactions. Evid Based Complement Altern Med 2018; 2018: 5470187.
37. Yiemwattana I, Kaomongkolgit R. Alpha-mangostin suppresses IL-6 and IL-8 expression in P. gingivalis LPS-stimulated human gingival fibroblasts. Odontology 2015; 103: 348-355.
38. Fu T, Wang S, Liu J, Cai E, Li H, Li P, et al. Protective effects of α-mangostin against acetaminophen-induced acute liver injury in mice. Eur J Pharmacol 2018; 827: 173-180.
39. Tillement L, Lecanu L, Papadopoulos V. Alzheimer’s disease: effects of β-amyloid on mitochondria. Mitochondrion 2011; 11: 13-21.
40. Morley JE, Farr SA, Nguyen AD, Xu F. What is the physiological function of amyloid-beta protein? J Nutr Health Aging 2019; 23: 225-226.
41. Huang YR, Liu RT. The toxicity and polymorphism of β-amyloid oligomers. Int J Mol Sci 2020; 21: 4477.
42. Wang Y, Xia Z, Xu JR, Wang YX, Hou LN, Qiu Y, et al. Α-mangostin, a polyphenolic xanthone derivative from mangosteen, attenuates β-amyloid oligomers-induced neurotoxicity by inhibiting amyloid aggregation. Neuropharmacology 2012; 62: 871-881.
43. Moongkarndi P, Srisawat C, Saetun P, Jantaravinid J, Peerapittayamongkol C, Soi-ampornkul R, et al. Protective effect of mangosteen extract against beta-amyloid-induced cytotoxicity, oxidative stress and altered proteome in SK-N-SH cells. J Proteome Res 2010; 9: 2076-2086.
44. Zhao LX, Wang Y, Liu T, Wang YX, Chen HZ, Xu JR, et al. α‐Mangostin decreases β‐amyloid peptides production via modulation of amyloidogenic pathway. CNS Neurosci Ther 2017; 23: 526-534.
45. Oh Y, Do HTT, Kim S, Kim Y-M, Chin Y-W, Cho J. Memory-enhancing effects of mangosteen pericarp water extract through antioxidative neuroprotection and anti-apoptotic action. Anti-oxidants 2021; 10: 34.
46. Torabi A, Joneidi M, Mohammadzadeh I, Abdollahifar M-a, Khatmi A, Ezi S, et al. The effect of 3-nitropropionic acid on behavioral dysfunction, neuron loss and gliosis in the brain of adult male rats: The case of prefrontal cortex, hippocampus and the cerebellum. Toxicon 2020; 183: 44-50.
47. Bendiksen Skogvold H, Yazdani M, Sandås EM, Østeby Vassli A, Kristensen E, Haarr D, et al. A pioneer study on human 3‐nitropropionic acid intoxication: Contributions from metabolomics. J Appl Toxicol 2021; 45: 818-829.
48. Pedraza-Chaverrí J, Reyes-Fermín LM, Nolasco-Amaya EG, Orozco-Ibarra M, Medina-Campos ON, González-Cuahutencos O, et al. ROS scavenging capacity and neuroprotective effect of α-mangostin against 3-nitropropionic acid in cerebellar granule neurons. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2009; 61: 491-501.
49. Muchtaridi M, Wijaya CA. Anticancer potential of α-mangostin. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017; 10: 440.
50. Rizaldy D, Hartati R, Nadhifa T, Fidrianny I. Chemical compounds and pharmacological activities of mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana L.)—Updated Review. Biointerface Res Appl Chem 2021; 12: 2503-2516.
51. Rahbardar MG, Eisvand F, Rameshrad M, Razavi BM, Hosseinzadeh H. In vivo and in vitro protective effects of rosmarinic acid against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. Nutr Cancer 2021; 74: 747-760.
52. Tangpong J, Miriyala S, Noel T, Sinthupibulyakit C, Jungsuwadee P, Clair DS. Doxorubicin-induced central nervous system toxicity and protection by xanthone derivative of Garcinia mangostana. Neuroscience 2011; 175: 292-299.
53. Tangpong J, Miriyala S, Noel T, Sinthupibulyakit C, Jungsuwadee P, St Clair DK. Doxorubicin-induced central nervous system toxicity and protection by xanthone derivative of Garcinia mangostana. Neuroscience 2011; 175: 292-299.
54. Blum RH, Carter SK, Agre K. A clinical review of bleomycin-a new antineoplastic agent. Cancer 1973; 31: 903-914.
55. Li R-s, Xu G-h, Cao J, Liu B, Xie H-f, Ishii Y, et al. Alpha-mangostin ameliorates bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis in mice partly through activating adenosine 5′-monophosphate-activated protein kinase. Front Pharmacol 2019; 10: 1305.
56. Galluzzi L, Senovilla L, Vitale I, Michels J, Martins I, Kepp O, et al. Molecular mechanisms of cisplatin resistance. Oncogene 2012; 31: 1869-1883.
57. Yao X, Panichpisal K, Kurtzman N, Nugent K. Cisplatin nephrotoxicity: A review. Am J Med Sci 2007; 334: 115-124.
58. Sánchez-Pérez Y, Morales-Bárcenas R, García-Cuellar CM, López-Marure R, Calderon-Oliver M, Pedraza-Chaverri J, et al. The alpha-mangostin prevention on cisplatin-induced apoptotic death in LLC-PK1 cells is associated to an inhibition of ROS production and p53 induction. Chem Biol Interact 2010; 188: 144-150.
59. Aisha AF, Abu-Salah KM, Ismail Z, Majid AMSA. α-Mangostin enhances betulinic acid cytotoxicity and inhibits cisplatin cytotoxicity on HCT 116 colorectal carcinoma cells. Molecules 2012; 17: 2939-2954.
60. Li Q, Yan X-t, Zhao L-c, Ren S, He Y-f, Liu W-c, et al. α-Mangostin, a dietary xanthone, exerts protective effects on cisplatin-induced renal injury via PI3K/Akt and JNK signaling pathways in HEK293 cells. ACS omega 2020; 5: 19960-19967.
61. Reyes-Fermín LM, Avila-Rojas SH, Aparicio-Trejo OE, Tapia E, Rivero I, Pedraza-Chaverri J. The protective effect of alpha-mangostin against cisplatin-induced cell death in LLC-PK1 cells is associated to mitochondrial function preservation. Anti-oxidants 2019; 8: 133.
62. Wang-Fischer Y, Garyantes T. Improving the reliability and utility of streptozotocin-induced rat diabetic model. J Diabetes Res 2018; 2018: 8054073.
63. Furman BL. Streptozotocin‐induced diabetic models in mice and rats. Curr Protoc Pharmacol 2015; 70: 1-5.47. 20.
64. Karim N, Jeenduang N, Tangpong J. Anti-glycemic and anti-hepatotoxic effects of mangosteen vinegar rind from Garcinia mangostana against HFD/STZ-induced type II diabetes in mice. Polish J Food Nutr Sci 2018; 68: 163–169.
65. Karim N, Rahman A, Chanudom L, Thongsom M, Tangpong J. Mangosteen vinegar rind from Garcinia mangostana prevents high‐fat diet and streptozotocin‐induced type II diabetes nephropathy and apoptosis. J Food Sci 2019; 84: 1208-1215.
66. Husen SA, Ansori M, Nur A, Hayaza S, Susilo K, Joko R, et al. Renal protective effects of gamma-mangostin in streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. Indian J Forensic Med Toxicol 2020; 14: 1251-1256.
67. Timmins GS, Deretic V. Mechanisms of action of isoniazid. Mol Microbiol 2006; 62:1220-1227.
68. Metushi I, Cai P, Zhu X, Nakagawa T, Uetrecht J. A fresh look at the mechanism of isoniazid‐induced hepatotoxicity. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2011; 89: 911-914.
69. Pramana TY, Wasita B, Widyaningsih V, Cilmiaty R, Suroto S, Mudigdo A, et al. The ethanol extract of Garcinia mangostana L peel reduces the isoniazid-induced liver damage in rats. Bali Med J 2021; 10: 156-159.
70. Agrawal S, Khazaeni B. Acetaminophen toxicity. Statpearls [internet] 2021.
71. Ramachandran A, Jaeschke H, editors. Acetaminophen hepatotoxicity. Seminars in liver disease; 2019: Thieme Medical Publishers.
72. Yan X-t, Sun Y-s, Ren S, Zhao L-c, Liu W-c, Chen C, et al. Dietary α-mangostin provides protective effects against acetaminophen-induced hepatotoxicity in mice via Akt/mTOR-mediated inhibition of autophagy and apoptosis. Int J Mol Sci 2018; 19: 1335.
73. Ibrahim SR, El-Agamy DS, Abdallah HM, Ahmed N, Elkablawy MA, Mohamed GA. Protective activity of tovophyllin A, a xanthone isolated from Garcinia mangostana pericarps, against acetaminophen-induced liver damage: role of Nrf2 activation. Food Funct 2018; 9: 3291-3300.
74. Allawadhi P, Khurana A, Sayed N, Kumari P, Godugu C. Isoproterenol‐induced cardiac ischemia and fibrosis: Plant‐based approaches for intervention. Phytother Res 2018; 32: 1908-1932.
75. Boarescu P-M, Chirilă I, Bulboacă AE, Bocșan IC, Pop RM, Gheban D, et al. Effects of curcumin nanoparticles in isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2019; 2019: 7847142.
76. Devi SP, Kannan V. Ameliorative prospective of alpha-mangostin, a xanthine derivative from Garcinia mangostana against beta adrenergic catecholamine induced myocardial toxicity and anomalous cardiac TNF-alpha and COX-2 expressions in rat. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2008; 60: 357-364.
77. Devi Sampath P, Vijayaraghavan K. Cardioprotective effect of α‐mangostin, a xanthone derivative from mangosteen on tissue defense system against isoproterenol‐induced myocardial infarction in rats. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 2007; 21: 336-339.
78. Ismail Z, Morcos MA, EL-Shafei MDE-D, Helmy FA-ZM. Histological and immunohistochemical study on the possible effect of mangosteen and mesenchymal stem cells on isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction in adult male Albino rats. Egypt J Histol 2019; 42: 651-666.
79. El-Marasy SA, Abd-Elsalam RM, Ahmed-Farid OA. Ameliorative effect of silymarin on scopolamine-induced dementia in rats. Open Access Maced J Med Sci 2018; 6: 1215–1224.
80. Lee Y, Kim S, Oh Y, Kim Y-M, Chin Y-W, Cho J. Inhibition of oxidative neurotoxicity and scopolamine-induced memory impairment by γ-mangostin: In vitro and in vivo evidence. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2019; 2019: 3640753.
81. Sattayasai J, Chaonapan P, Arkaravichie T, Soi-Ampornkul R, Junnu S, Charoensilp P, et al. Protective effects of mangosteen extract on H2O2-induced cytotoxicity in SK-N-SH cells and scopolamine-induced memory impairment in mice. PLoS one 2013; 8: e85053.
82. Staňková P, Kučera O, Lotková H, Roušar T, Endlicher R, Červinková Z. The toxic effect of thioacetamide on rat liver in vitro. Toxicol In Vitro 2010; 24: 2097-2103.
83. Nilbunga S. Investigation of therapeutic effects of α-mangostin on thioacetamide-induced cirrhosis in rats. J Med Assoc Thai 2015; 98: S91-S97.
84. Rodniem S, Tiyao V, Nilbu-Nga C, Poonkhum R, Pongmayteegul S, Pradidarcheep W. Protective effect of alpha-mangostin on thioacetamide-induced liver fibrosis in rats as revealed by morpho-functional analysis. Histol Histopathol 2018; 34: 419-430.
85. Shukla V, Shukla P, Tiwari A. Lead poisoning. India J Med specialities 2018; 9: 146-149.
86. Shabani M, Hadeiy SK, Parhizgar P, Zamani N, Mehrad H, Hassanian-Moghaddam H, et al. Lead poisoning; a neglected potential diagnosis in abdominal pain. BMC Gastroenterol 2020; 20: 134.
87. Phyu MP, Tangpong J. Neuroprotective effects of xanthone derivative of Garcinia mangostana against lead-induced acetylcholinesterase dysfunction and cognitive impairment. Food Chem Toxicol 2014; 70: 151-156.
88. Rana MN, Tangpong J, Rahman MA. Xanthones protects lead-induced chronic kidney disease (CKD) via activating Nrf-2 and modulating NF-kB, MAPK pathway. Biochem Biophys Rep 2020; 21: 100718.
89. Rahmayanti F, Sastradipura DFS, Mas’Ud Z, Bachtiar B, Wimardhani YS, Permana G. Acute oral toxicity testing of ethyl acetate fraction from Garcinia mangostana Linn extract in sprague-dawley rats. Res J Med Plant 2016; 10: 261-264.
90. Sunarjo L, Suharti O, Susanto H. The preliminary study on safety of using mangosteen peel extract as natural herbs. J med sci clin res 2017; 50: 24851-24856.
91. Choi YH, Han SY, Kim Y-J, Kim Y-M, Chin Y-W. Absorption, tissue distribution, tissue metabolism and safety of α-mangostin in mangosteen extract using mouse models. Food Chem Toxicol 2014; 66: 140-146.
92. Hutadilok-Towatana N, Reanmongkol W, Wattanapiromsakul C, Bunkrongcheap R. Acute and subchronic toxicity evaluation of the hydroethanolic extract of mangosteen pericarp. J Med Plant Res 2010; 4: 969-974.
93. Catorce MN, Acero G, Pedraza-Chaverri J, Fragoso G, Govezensky T, Gevorkian G. Alpha-mangostin attenuates brain inflammation induced by peripheral lipopolysaccharide administration in C57BL/6J mice. J Neuroimmunol 2016; 297: 20-27.
94. Guan H, Li J, Tan X, Luo S, Liu Y, Meng Y, et al. Natural xanthone α‐mangostin inhibits LPS‐induced microglial inflammatory responses and memory impairment by blocking the TAK1/NF‐κB signaling pathway. Mol Nutr Food Res 2020; 64: 2000096.
95. Widowati W, Darsono L, Suherman J, Fauziah N, Maesaroh M, Erawijantari PP. Anti-inflammatory effect of mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana L.) peel extract and its compounds in LPS-induced RAW264. 7 cells. Nat Prod Sci 2016; 22: 147-153.
96. Tanaka R. Inhibitory effects of xanthone on paraquat-and NaNO2-induced genotoxicity in cultured cells. Toxicol Sci 2007; 32: 571-574.
97. Reyes-Fermín LM, González-Reyes S, Tarco-Álvarez NG, Hernández-Nava M, Orozco-Ibarra M, Pedraza-Chaverri J. Neuroprotective effect of α-mangostin and curcumin against iodoacetate-induced cell death. Nutr Neurosci 2012; 15: 34-41.
98. Wang A, Liu Q, Ye Y, Wang Y, Lin L. Identification of hepatoprotective xanthones from the pericarps of Garcinia mangostana, guided with tert-butyl hydroperoxide induced oxidative injury in HL-7702 cells. Food Funct 2015; 6: 3013-3021.
99. Wuragil DK. Inhibition inflammation process on cigarette smoke induced rats by extract of manggosteen Peel (Garcinia mangostana L) based on oxidant-anti-oxidant profile. Int J Chemtech Res 2015; 8: 528-533.
100. Lee D, Choi YO, Kim KH, Chin Y-W, Namgung H, Yamabe N, et al. Protective effect of α-mangostin against iodixanol-induced apoptotic damage in LLC-PK1 cells. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2016; 26: 3806-3809.