1. Holder M, Holl RW, Bartz J, Hecker W, Heinze E, Leichter HE, Teller W. Influence of long-term glycemic control on the development of cardiac autonomic neuropathy in pediatric patients with type I diabetes. Diabetes Care 1997; 20:1042-1043.
2. Edwards JL, Vincent AM, Cheng HT, Feldman EL. Diabetic neuropathy: mechanisms to management. Pharmacol Ther 2008; 120:1-34.
3. Skapare E, Konrade I, Liepinsh E, Strele I, Makrecka M, Bierhaus A, et al. Association of reduced glyoxalase 1 activity and painful peripheral diabeticneuropathy in type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus patients. J Diabetes Complications 2013; 27:262-267.
4. Tomlinson DR, Gardiner NJ. Glucose neurotoxicity. Nat Rev Neurosci 2008; 9:36-45.
5. Brownlee M. Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications. Nature 2001; 414:813-820.
6. Kamboj SS, Vasishta RK, Sandhir R. N-acetylcysteine inhibits hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis markers in diabetic neuropathy. J Neurochem 2010; 112:77-91.
7. Russell JW, Sullivan KA, Windebank AJ, Herrmann DN, Feldman EL. Neurons undergo apoptosis in animal and cell culture models of diabetes. Neurobiol Dis 1999; 6:347-363.
8. Mattson MP, Camandola S. NFκ_B in neuronal plasticity and neurodegenerative disorders. J Clin Invest 2001; 107:247-254.
9. O'Brien NM, Woods JA, Aherne SA, O'Callaghan YC. Cytotoxicity, genotoxicity and oxidative reactions in cell-culture models: modulatory effects of phytochemicals. Biochem Soc Trans 2000; 28:22-26.
10. Ribeiro LR, Salvadori DM. Dietary components may prevent mutationrelated diseases in humans. Mutat Res 2003; 544:195-201.
11. Pawlowska AM, Camangi F, Bader A, Braca A. Flavonoids of Zizyphus jujuba L. and Zizyphus spina-christi (L.) Wild (Rhamnaceae) fruits. Food Chem 2009; 112:858-862.
12. Taati M, Alirezaei M, Moshkatalsadat MH, Rasoulian B, Moghadasi M, Sheikhzadeh F, Sokhtezari A. Protective effects of Ziziphus jujuba fruit extract against ethanol-induced hippocampal oxidative stress and spatial memory impairment in rats. J Med Plants Res 2011; 5:915-921.
13. Kaeidi A, Esmaeili-Mahani S, Abbasnejad M, Sheibani V, Rasoulian B, Hajializadeh Z, et al. Satureja khuzestanica attenuates apoptosis in hyperglycemic PC12 cells and spinal cord of diabetic rats. J Nat Med 2013; 67:61-69.
14. Kaeidi A, Esmaeili-Mahani S, Sheibani V, Abbasnejad M, Rasoulian B, Hajializadeh Z, Afrazi S. Olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf extract attenuates early diabetic neuropathic pain through prevention of high glucose-induced apoptosis: in vitro and in vivo studies. J Ethnopharmacol 2011; 136:188-196.
15. Vincent AM, McLean LL, Backus C, Feldman EL. Short-term hyperglycemia produces oxidative damage and apoptosis in neurons. FASEB J 2005; 19:638-640.
16. Sharifi AM, Eslami H, Larijani B, Davoodi J. Involvement of caspase-8, -9, and -3 in high glucose-induced apoptosis in PC12 cells. Neurosci Lett 2009; 459: 47-51.
17. Jacobson MD. Reactive oxygen species and programmed cell death. Trends Biochem Sci 1996; 21:83-86.
18. Circu ML, Aw TY. Reactive oxygen species, cellular redox systems, and apoptosis. Free Radic Biol Med 2010; 48:749-762.
19. Ji HF, Zhang HY. Multipotent natural agents to combat Alzheimer’s disease functional spectrum and structural features. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2008; 29:143-151.
20. Bei W, Zang L, Guo J, Peng W, Xu A, Good DA. Neuroprotective effects of a standardized flavonoid extract from Diospyros kaki leaves. J Ethnopharmacol 2009; 126:134-142.
21. Zhang H, Jiang L, Ye S, Ye Y, Ren, F. Systematic evaluation of antioxidant capacities of the ethanolic extract of different tissues of jujube (Ziziphus jujuba Mill.) from China. Food Chem Toxicol 2010; 48:1461-1465.
22. Huang X, Kojima-Yuasa A, Norikura T, Kennedy DO, Hasuma T, Matsui-Yuasa I. Mechanism of the anti-cancer activity of Zizyphus jujuba in HepG2 cells. Am J Chin Med 2007; 35:517-532.
23. Ganachari MS, Kumar S, Bhat KG. Effect of Ziziphus jujuba leaves extract on phagocytosis by human neutrophils. J Nat Remedies 2004; 4:47-51.
24. Agrawal S, Shivhare Y. Formulation and evaluation of herbal cream containing extract of Ziziphus jujuba leaves for analgesic potential. Research J Pharma Dosage Forms Tech 2012; 4:320-323.
25. Ganachari MS, Kumar S, Alagawadi KR. Anti-obese activity of Ziziphus jujuba Lam leaves extract in dietary obese rats. J Natural Remedies 2007; 7:102-108.
26. Tripathi S. Ziziphus jujuba: A Phytopharmacological Review. 2014.
27. Gao QH, Wu PT, Liu JR, Wu CS, Parry JW, Wang M. Physico-chemical properties and antioxidant capacity of different jujube (Ziziphus jujuba Mill.) cultivars grown in loess plateau of China. Sci Hortic 2011; 130:67-72.
28. San B, Yildirim AN. Phenolic, alpha-tocopherol, beta-carotene and fatty acid composition of four promising jujube (Ziziphus jujube Miller) selections. J Food Compost Anal 2010; 23:706-710.
29. Kandhare AD, Raygude KS, Shiva Kumar V, Rajmane AR, Visnagri A, Ghule AE, et al. Ameliorative effects quercetin against impaired motor nerve function, inflammatory mediators and apoptosis in neonatal streptozotocin-induced diabetic neuropathy in rats. Biomed Aging Pathol 2012; 2:173-186.
30. Pasban-Aliabadi H, Esmaeili-Mahani S, Sheibani V, Abbasnejad M, Mehdizadeh A, Yaghoobi MM. Inhibition of 6-hydroxydopamine-induced PC12 cell apoptosis by olive (Olea europaea L.) leaf extract is performed by its main component oleuropein. Rejuvenation Res 2013; 16:134-142.
31 Khanduja KL, Avti PK, Kumar S, Mittal N, Sohi KK, Pathak CM. Anti-apoptotic activity of caffeic acid, ellagic acid and ferulic acid in normal human peripheral blood mononuclear cells: a Bcl-2 independent mechanism. Biochim Biophys Acta 2006; 1760:283-289
32. Rao CV, Desai D, Simi B, Kulkarni N, Amin S, Reddy BS. Inhibitory effect of caffeic acid esters on azoxymethane-induced biochemical changes and aberrant crypt foci formation in rat colon. Cancer Res 1993; 53:4182-4188.
33. Sud'ina GF, Mirzoeva OK, Pushkareva MA, Korshunova GA, Sumbatyan NV, Varfolomeev SD. Caffeic acid phenethylester as a lipoxygenase inhibitor with antioxidant properties. FEBS Lett 1993; 329:21-24.
34. Amodio R, De Ruvo C, Sacchetti A, Di Santo A, Martelli N, Di Matteo V. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester blocks apoptosis induced by low potassium in cerebellar granule cells. Int J Dev Neurosci 2003; 21:379-389.
35. Tsai SJ, Chao CY, Yin MC. Preventive and therapeutic effects of caffeic acid against inflammatory injury in striatum of MPTP-treated mice. Eur J Pharmacol 2011; 670:441-447.
36. Elmarakby AA, Sullivan JC. Relationship between oxidative stress and inflammatory cytokines in diabetic nephropathy. Cardiovasc Ther 2012; 30:49-59.
37. Fitzgerald DC, Meade KG, McEvoy AN, Lillis L, Murphy EP, MacHugh DE, et al. Tumour necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) increases nuclear factor κB (NFκB) activity in and interleukin-8 (IL-8) release from bovine mammary epithelial cells. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2007; 116:59-68.
38. Wickens AP. Ageing and the free radical theory. Respir Physiol 2001; 128:379-391.